N. Korea spurs efforts to raise crop production during fall harvest season
简介North Korea has been ramping up efforts to boost crop production during the fall harvest season amid ...
North Korea has been ramping up efforts to boost crop production during the fall harvest season amid expectations that the impoverished country's food shortages have improved, compared with the first half of the year.
The Rodong Sinmun, the North's main newspaper, recently carried a report that a "critical" time has come in attaining the goal of this year's grain production, while urging officials to lead efforts to produce satisfactory outcomes in the agricultural sector.
"It is essential for the country's provincial, city and county committees to well guide efforts to produce achievements in the agricultural sector with the attitude that they are fully responsible for the outcome of farming in their regions," North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was quoted as saying by the paper issued Sept. 23.
In a separate report, the newspaper also called on people to plant wheat and barley this year in an apparent bid to diversify crop production, which has been centered on rice and corn so far.
South Korea's unification ministry said the North's food situation appears to have improved, compared with the first six months of the year, on the back of an increase in the crop harvest and imports.
With deaths from starvation reported in some regions, North Korea has reportedly been facing serious food shortages, as its prolonged COVID-19 border closure and disruptions in state-controlled food supply have aggravated the situation.
Russian Ambassador to North Korea Alexander Matsegora said in a recent interview with Russia's state news agency TASS that North Korea turned down Russia's offer to provide food aid, saying it has had a "good harvest."
North Korea's crop production is estimated to have reached 4.51 million tons last year, down 3.8 percent from a year earlier, according to a report by the South's Rural Development Administration. (Yonhap)
차준홍 기자최근 북한이 러시아에 보낸 1000개 이상의 컨테이너에 실린 무기가 포탄으로 가정할 경우 수십만 발에 해당하는 규모라고 16일 국방부가 밝혔다. 장기간 전쟁을 수행 중인 ...
Two-day working- and senior-level talks among South Korea, Japan and China kicked off on Monday, as ...
Seoul's streets are to become a festive outdoor venue for various street arts, circus performan ...
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- [Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- 120,000 more public homes to be supplied by this year
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- ‘Art in Series’ embraces autumn delights
- Tapas bar explores modern interpretations of kimchi
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- 김건희, 제주도서 갈치 시식하며 “수산물 소비 활성화 최선”
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”
- SPAF kicks off with boundary
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- First frost and ice observed, but warmer weather will return
- S. Korea sweeps up 2 gold medals at stake in recurve team events
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos