N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
简介North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required ...
North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required to bolster its self-defense capabilities, claiming the Korean Peninsula faces the "immediate danger of nuclear war breakout."
Addressing the UN General Assembly in New York, Ambassador Kim Song attributed the "current dangerous situation" to South Korea and the United States, lambasting a series of steps that the allies have taken to bolster deterrence against evolving North Korean threats.
"Given the prevailing circumstances, the DPRK is urgently required to further accelerate the build-up of its self-defense capabilities to defend itself impregnably," the ambassador said during his live-streamed speech. DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
"It is only too natural that the more the reckless military moves and provocations of the hostile forces are intensified …, the more our endeavors to enhance national defense capabilities would increase in direct proportion," he added.
Kim catalogued a series of defensive exercises between the US and South Korea namely the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, the launch of the Nuclear Consultative Group and repeated verbal warnings against the North's potential use of nuclear arms.
"From the beginning of the year, the US and the 'Republic of Korea' made hysterical remarks of confrontation such as 'end of the regime; and 'occupation of Pyongyang' in flagrant violation of the principles and purposes of the UN Charter," he said.
Calling South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol only by his name, Kim criticized Yoon's warning at the UN General Assembly that any arms deal between Russia and North Korea would be considered a "direct provocation" against South Korea.
"Development of equal and reciprocal relations between and among independent sovereign states is not an issue for the "ROK" to interfere in as it is no more than a colony of the US," Kim said.
He described the Yoon administration as a "puppet" government, accusing it of raising tensions.
"The Korean Peninsula is in a hair-trigger situation with imminent danger of nuclear war breakout," he said.
Kim Sang-jin, South Korea's deputy permanent representative to the UN, hit back, chastising the North for making "groundless, illogical and absurd" allegations.
"Do you really believe as the DPRK claims the Republic of Korea, together with the US, conspires to provoke a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula without reasons that will cause catastrophic casualties?," he asked. "How many member states in this chamber are seriously aligned with the DPRK's false assertions? My answer is clear: untrue, absolutely incorrect," he said. (Yonhap)
Cable channel tvN Sports and South Korean cinema operator CJ CGV announced the livestreaming of an u ...
Honda Korea Co. is beefing up its product lineup to revive sales after they plunged nearly 70 percen ...
Will Blackpink continue or will the group disband? Are the members moving to a different label or wi ...
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- 박성중 "다음 中응원은 드루킹 시즌2…강서구 선거 안심 못해"
- Doosan Robotics shares debut at double IPO price
- TVXQ to release 9th LP on Dec. 26, marking 20th anniversary
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- Zandari Festa kicks off with local, foreign indie bands
Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
Hyundai Glovis to go net
Seoraksan cools below freezing as autumn takes hold
Samsung chief explores new growth drivers in Middle East
[Top Envoy] Russian satellite help not likely priority for North Korea: Chun
Live music festival Block Party to return to Haebangchon
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- [Top Envoy] Russian satellite help not likely priority for North Korea: Chun
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- 이준석, 눈물의 회견…尹대통령 향해 "與 묵언 수행 저주 풀라"
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- S. Korea mandates flexible pricing in supply deals to protect SMEs
- 한중 축구, 다음선 중국 응원이 91%…‘차이나 게이트’ 논란
- S. Korea to crack down on illegal immigrants
- 반도핑기구 “아시안게임 북 인공기 게양에 조치 취할 것”
- Fall festivals to take place across Seoul
- 與, 김행 여가장관 후보 청문회 불참 기류…"일방적이고 위법적"
- Live music festival Block Party to return to Haebangchon