Seoul shares snap 4
简介South Korean stocks finished slightly higher Wednesday following recent sharp losses amid concerns a ...
South Korean stocks finished slightly higher Wednesday following recent sharp losses amid concerns about the Federal Reserve's further interest rate hikes and the US economic outlook. The local currency fell against the US dollar to hit a fresh yearly low.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index added 2.1 points, or 0.09 percent, to close at 2,465.07, ending a four-day losing streak. Trading volume was a bit slim at 354.97 million shares worth 6.26 trillion won ($4.64 billion), with gainers outpacing losers 629 to 547.
The index opened lower, tracking US losses, and had been in the negative terrain before ending with slight gains. On Wednesday, the index fell to the lowest level since April 6, when the Kospi finished at 2,459.23.
Foreigners and institutions sold a net 27.26 billion won and 79.77 won worth of shares, respectively, while retail investors bought a net 91.09 billion won worth of shares.
Investors were worried about the Fed's further interest rate hikes, while recent economic data pointed to an economic downturn.
"Volatility would continue for the time being amid global uncertainties. High interest rates, the sharp fall in households' extra savings and other factors have further stoked fears of an economic slowdown," Han Ji-young, an analyst at Kiwoom Securities Co., said.
Top-cap tech shares traded mixed on the Seoul bourse.
Market bellwether Samsung Electronics fell 0.29 percent to 68,400 won, and chip giant SK hynix lost 0.26 percent to 114,700 won.
But leading battery maker LG Energy Solution grew 0.21 percent to 476,500 won, and Posco Holdings added 0.38 percent to 535,000 won.
LG Chem retreated 1.68 percent to 496,500 won, and Samsung SDI sank 1.92 percent to 512,000 won.
Carmakers closed higher. Top automaker Hyundai Motor rose 0.21 percent to 191,100 won, and its affiliate Kia went up 0.62 percent to 81,400 won.
Biotech firm Samsung Biologics increased 0.15 percent to 681,000 won, and Celltrion jumped 1.9 percent to 139,200 won.
Internet giant Naver advanced 0.25 percent to 201,500 won, and Kakao, the operator of the popular mobile messenger KakaoTalk, climbed 0.46 percent to 43,950 won.
The local currency ended at 1,349.3 won against the US dollar, the lowest level for this year, down 0.8 won from the previous session's close.
South Korean stock, ETF, derivatives and commodity markets will all be closed during the extended Chuseok holiday starting Thursday through Oct. 3. (Yonhap)
South Korean liquor giant HiteJinro said Monday it is building the company's first overseas man ...
More than 90 percent of all fines for illegal short selling of stocks have been issued to foreign fi ...
The South Korean economy is entering a "recovery phase" on the back of signs of an export rebound, w ...
- [Herald Interview] Netflix's ‘Devil’s Plan’ expands realm of survival game shows
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- 이용, 지도부 때린 서병수·홍문표에 "선당후사·솔선수범 하라"
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
Seoul shares open higher on US gains
SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients
- Multinational criminal ring arrested for smuggling meth in bulk into South Korea
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- [Today’s K
- Art Busan's unveils galleries, theme for inaugural fair, Define Seoul
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- The 2023 Seoul Fantastic Beer Festival
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- Opposition calls for Yoon's overhaul of Cabinet after by
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- Political strife may delay Korea’s launch of new space agency
- Court finds ban on leafleting into NK unconstitutional, ban on praise for NK constitutional
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art
- [Herald Interview] Kim Jee
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- SM founder Lee Soo
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- [Feature] The rise and fall of terrestrial TV dramas
- NK slams Yoon's warning against Pyongyang
- [Today’s K
- N.Korea blasts Yoon for denouncing military ties with Russia at UN
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- Kakao completes its first own data center